Welcome to 53 in Spanish, our post which answers the question what is 53 in Spanish for both, cardinal as well as ordinal numbers in writing and speech. If you have been looking for fifty-third in Spanish, or if you googled for how do you say fifty-three in Spanish, then you have come to the right website, too. Reading our article to the end, you will learn how to say and write 53 like the people of Spain and Mexico for example.
Fifty-three in Spanish
The cardinal number fifty-three only has one form in Spanish. As noun, adjective or pronoun 53 as cardinal number in Spanish is cincuenta y tres.
Click the speaker to hear the pronunciation of cincuenta y tres
A cardinal like cincuenta y tres is part of speech or writing used to count, indicate the size of a group or set, et cetera. Check out these examples:
- Fifty-three = cincuenta y tres
- Fifty-three men = cincuenta y tres hombres
- Fifty-three women = cincuenta y tres mujeres
- Fifty-three thousand dollars = cincuenta y tres mil dólares
- Fifty-three crazy ideas = cincuenta y tres ideas locas
As you can see, cincuenta y tres does not adapt to gender as explained on our homepage.
Note that fifty-third in Spanish can be located three paragraphs further below. Next we answer how do you say fifty-three in Spanish for two dialects.
How do you say 53 in Spanish?
Here, we are going to show you how to say 53 in Spanish using the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA), an alphabetic system of phonetic notation which uses the Latin alphabet:
- In Spanish of Spain, 53 is pronounced θiŋˈkwenta i tɾes, e.g. for fifty-three dollars you say θiŋˈkwenta i tɾes ˈðolaɾes
- In Mexican Spanish fifty-three is pronounced siŋˈkwenta i tɾes: siŋˈkwenta i tɾes ˈðolaɾes
- In Spanish as spoken in Spain, for fifty-three people you say θiŋˈkwenta i tɾes peɾˈsonas
- In Spanish as spoken in Mexico, 53 people is pronounced siŋˈkwenta i tɾes peɾˈsonas
There is a great many of countries where Spanish is spoken or is the official language; therefore, the actual pronunciation of 53 depends on the particular dialect under consideration.
For detailed information about the rules for building simple and compound cardinals such as 53 read our article Numbers in Spanish, located in the header menu.
In the next section we elaborate of the spelling of 53 in Spanish.
How do you Spell 53 in Spanish?
Taking all of the above into account, you already know the answer to how do you spell 53 in Spanish language. 53 in Spanish spelling is cincuenta y tres.
In case the phonetic spelling of 53 has caught your attention, then have a look at the reference section at the bottom of our home page to learn more about the phonetic alphabet.
Chances are that you are also interested in the linguistics and grammar aspects of the numeral cincuenta y tres, which can be attributive or pronominal, as shown below.
In the case of fifty-three women (cincuenta y tres mujeres), the use of the numeral is pronominal.
In the sentence “I saw fifty-three” (“Vi a cincuenta y tres”), cincuenta y tres serves as a pronoun.
Besides the Spanish number 53, you may also be interested in:
In the following part we are going to discuss the Spanish equivalents of 53rd and fifty-third, the ordinal numbers which characterize importance, size, chronology, etc.
Fifty-third in Spanish
In Spanish, all ordinal numbers including fifty-third represent a position or rank in a sequential order. Fifty-third in Spanish can be a pronoun or adjective; usually it’s an adjective though.
Fifty-third takes on 5 forms as follows. Let’s start with that fifty-third in Spanish has a masculine and feminine form to adapt to the succeeding noun, or to function as pronoun:
- quincuagésimo tercer as masculine pronoun, singular
- quincuagésimo tercero + masculine noun, singular
- quincuagésima tercera + feminine noun or as feminine pronoun, (both singular)
- The fifty-third = el quincuagésimo tercero / la quincuagésima tercera
- The fifty-third man = el quincuagésimo tercer hombre
- The fifty-third woman = la quincuagésima tercera mujer
Important: In day-to-day speech ordinal numbers as big as 53 are hardly ever used. Rather, they are replaced by cardinal numbers following the noun.
For example, instead of quincuagésimo tercer paso (step) or quincuagésima tercera galaxia (galaxy) we usually say paso doce and galaxia doce, respectively.
Because the ordinal number quincuagésimo tercer is an adjective or pronoun, it does not only adapt to gender, but in addition to the singular also has a plural form.
The plural is built by appending s to the singular pronominal form:
quincuagésimo tercero → quincuagésimos terceros
quincuagésima tercera → quincuagésimas terceras
If you can come up with a meaningful example for quincuagésimos terceros / quincuagésimas terceras, either as adjective or pronoun, then let us know and we will gladly publish it here.
Fifty-third in Spanish Pronunciation
In Spain, the numeral quincuagésimo tercero is pronounced as follows:
- quincuagésimo tercero = kiŋkwaˈxesimo teɾˈθeɾo
- quincuagésimo tercer = kiŋkwaˈxesimo teɾˈθeɾ
- quincuagésimos terceros = kiŋkwaˈxesimos teɾˈθeɾos
- quincuagésima tercera = kiŋkwaˈxesima teɾˈθeɾa
- quincuagésimas terceras = kiŋkwaˈxesimas teɾˈθeɾas
In Mexico, the numeral quincuagésimo tercero is pronounced as indicated below:
- quincuagésimo tercero = kiŋkwaˈxesimo teɾˈseɾo
- quincuagésimo tercer = kiŋkwaˈxesimo teɾˈseɾ
- quincuagésimos terceros = kiŋkwaˈxesimos teɾˈseɾos
- quincuagésima tercera = kiŋkwaˈxesima teɾˈseɾa
- quincuagésimas terceras = kiŋkwaˈxesimas teɾˈseɾas
53rd in Spanish
53rd in Spanish is 53.º, 53.er (followed by a masc., singular noun) or 53.ª (ª denotes feminine). The dot after the suffix is often omitted: 53º, 53er or 53ª. By way of illustration:
53º = 53rd
53rd man = 53er hombre
53rd woman = 53ª mujer
Historically, ordinal indicators have been underlined, thus 53o, 53er, 53a and 53.o, 53.er as well as 53.a are also valid. Plural ordinal indicators take on an s, e.g. 53.os.
Do not confuse 53ª with 53a, the latter is the superscript lower-case a. Likewise, make sure to understand the difference between 53º, 53° (degrees) and 53˚(ring diacritic).
If your device isn’t equipped with the º and ª keys, copy them from here, enter the keyboard combination corresponding to your OS, or make use of superscript as last resort.
If this information has been useful to you, then we would appreciate if you hit the share buttons to support us. Ahead is the summary of fifty-three in Spanish language.
What is 53 in Spanish?
If you don’t know what’s 53 in Spanish as cardinal or ordinal, then carefully read our article once more. Other frequently searched terms in the context of Spanish 53 include:
- 53 Spanish
- How to say fifty-three in Spanish?
- What is fifty-three in Spanish?
- Spanish for 53
- Spanish fifty-three
These, and lots of other terms, can also be looked up in the search form of the sidebar. Enter, for instance, fifty-three Spanish or something similar like Spanish word for 53.
This ends our information on fifty-three in Spanish numbers. If the content of this page has been helpful to you, please spread the word about our site.
For questions, observations and other feedback on Spanish for fifty-three please make use of the comment form at the bottom, or email us.
Now, applying what you have just learned here, try to count up to 53 in Spanish. Numbers lower than fifty-three can be looked up using the aforementioned form.
Don’t forget to bookmark us, and thanks for visiting our 53 in Spanish translation.